Don't Forget To Click "Continuez"

and finish reading posts in which I had especially a lot of things to say!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Nantes Est Vraiment Une Ville Historique!

Here's a little tour of my room, my street, and some historical Landmarks in Nantes.

This past Thursday through Sunday was Nantes' world renowned music festival,  
 La Folle Journée.
The festival started out as a 1-day event, but as it became more and more well known and attracted more and more prestigious artists, the event expanded into an extremely well attended 4-day event!  

 There were also some "pre-festival" high school concerts at the music conservatory, "Conservatoire," in Nantes. It is the music school where 3 of the children in my host family studied (Priscille still studies there). Wednesday night my host family took me to see a concert at the Conservatoire and I was VERY impressed with the students' performance. A 24-year old alumni returned to accompany the band/orchestra on the piano for a few songs. It was a very beautiful concert!


The pianist I saw at La Folle Journée also played a very beautiful concert. He played 4 pieces which lasted about 45 minutes. IES provided us with "free" tickets (prepaid in tuition) and we got to choose 1 of 6 concerts (a choice of 3 concerts on Saturday and 3 concerts on Sunday). There were also free concerts in "La Grande Salle," The Great/Grand Hall in the middle of the building. Oh, by the way, the building was called "The City of Congress." And it was a big complex!  They had a red carpet leading up to the doors where you entered the building!!

Le Bâtiment est vraiment chouette!

I'm working on adding videos to my online photo/video archive and when I finally succeed (I WILL) I will post a few short video clips of performers from La Folle Journée.

Bonne Soirée Tout le Monde!
Monica





2 comments:

  1. I am sooooo jealous that you are going to all those places over break!!! I hope you have a lot of fun and I can't wait to see more pictures. It sounds like you have your schedule packed down, and they also sound like really interesting classes. I miss you!!! <3 Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting pictures....Did you know that Chopin was buried in Paris but his heart was taken to Poland, his homeland. It looks from one of the pictures that you got to see Polish composers. We are enjoying your blog....and hope you are having an awesome time as well! Looks like you are! Uncle Stefan

    ReplyDelete