Don't Forget To Click "Continuez"

and finish reading posts in which I had especially a lot of things to say!

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Miam Miam!!

Miam Miam:  How the French say, "yummy!!!"

Oh yes, I ate many more delicious things today. I ate a salad I bought at the market a few days ago (that was decent), I bought chocolate croissant for dessert, and a piece of bread to eat with my salad. (I also bought another piece of bread later to eat on our walking tour of Nantes...hey, it's hard to have self control when you pass so many boulangeries that you know sell nothing but delicious bread and pastries!!!)


Dinner was simple but incredibly delicious and surprisingly filling. We ate:

First, a bowl of vegetable soup. But my host mom doesn't just make regular veggie soup...she cooks all the veggies to soften them, then blends it all up so that it turns into a smooth, dense, brown soup. And it is DELICIOUS, especially when you mix in a little butter (which they always do, with rice too).

Next, we had blended spinach, which was also very dense. We cleaned our plates clear with bread and the combo (bread + spinach) was sooooo tasty!!!

Finally, we had yogurt and sugar (you mix brown refined sugar into sugar-free yogurt "yaourt naturel") followed by a light, fluffy, but at the same time, dense cake. The meals here are so interesting and very, very tasty.


I was talking to my host mom after I got back from my day at IES about many things, and one thing we discovered is that French people (or at least my host family) don't know the word "carbohydrate" (it's "hydrate de carbone" in French). I explained that everyone in the States is obsessed with weight loss and that there are constantly adds for diets, and diets that restrict you from eating "carbs." She said that the only remotely similar phrase used in France when discussing weight or what one eats is, "being over weight." It was very strange to me that she had never heard the word before; but honestly, I wish I had never heard of it either.

Anyways, obviously I don't care about carbohydrates because one of the reasons why I wanted to come here was for the food (a small reason, but still a reason).

On the way home, in fact just a few hundreds yards away from my house, there's a--guess what?? you're correct!!--boulangerie!


I picked up this little guy...
Even the presentation of food TO-GO is delightful en France...ugh, they try too hard (just kidding I really like and appreciate it and it just makes everything classy)

So, want to see what's inside?

Et VOILÀ!

Une Tarte aux Pommes!


Oh, I KNOW you're jealous!!

Look at those DELICIOUS baked apples and the thick, beautiful crust!
(PS - This is a pretty good picture, eh? haha, I'm proud.)


I approve!!

C'est très TRÈS delicieuse!!
(Almost too delicious...PSH NOOOOOOT!!)

I'm about to finish the last of my work for my orientation classes because tomorrow is Friday which means it's the end of orientation!
Classes start Monday!
And therefore tonight I'm also...
CHOOSING MY CLASSES!!!

If you can't tell, I'm VERY excited. I will certainly be posting an entry tomorrow to update you with all the classes in which I am officially registered. Until then...dream of les tartes aux pommes!

PPS - We went on a walking tour of Nantes today...and guess who forgot their camera? But no worries, I have 4 months and will be posting MANY more pictures in coming weeks when I have much more free time to explore the city during the daytime. 

PPPS - I have a really nifty idea for future blog entries...stay tuned, it's a very cute and interesting idea. You will certainly get a HUGE taste of Nantes! Wish you could all be here visiting me!

Avec l'amour,
Monica 

5 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering just looking at that delicious dessert!!
    I guess you won't make the same mistake again wearing your PJ's to a group breakfast!!!!
    Love,
    Aunt Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just had a daydream while I was about to comment, and guess what it was of!......les tartes aux pommes! I could have swore pommes was potato though, mmmmmmm potato pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pommes de terre is potato, les pommes are apples

    ReplyDelete
  4. .....and then Jim was served by the french language

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the coolest way to hear about your trip. We all love it and everybody anxiously awaits your next entry! Keep up the great work and I guess I don't really have to say....ENJOY!!!

    Love you cutie, Mom

    ReplyDelete